LOS ANGELES, August 15, 2022 – Enthusiast Gaming Holdings Inc. (“Enthusiast Gaming” or the “Company”) (NASDAQ:EGLX; TSX:EGLX), an integrated gaming entertainment company, today announced financial results for the three and six months ended June 30, 2022.
“During the first half of 2022, we delivered our strongest half-year results to date, led by accelerated revenue growth and substantial gross margin expansion. Q2 2022 was strong, with gross profit up 91% versus Q2 2021, driven by more subscription revenue and higher direct sales with repeat and new customers,” commented Adrian Montgomery, CEO of Enthusiast Gaming. “These results were made possible by the commitment and dedication of our over 250 global staff that make us better each day. As we refine our flywheel model, we continue to unlock new revenue opportunities, while expanding our margin and driving towards near-term profitability.”
Q2 2022 Financial Highlights
- Revenue of $51.1 million, a 38% increase vs revenue of $37.1 million in Q2 2021. The year-over-year increase in revenue was driven by increased direct sales, higher subscription revenue, the acquisitions and growth of the Addicting Games and U.GG properties, and higher RPMs across both web and video.
- Gross profit of $15.3 million, a 91% increase vs gross profit of $8.0 million in Q2 2021, and the highest quarterly gross profit to date.
- Gross margin of 30.0%, an increase of 840 bps vs gross margin of 21.6% in Q2 2021. The increase in gross margin is driven by the increase in direct sales and subscription revenue, and strong performances by Addicting Games and U.GG.
- Direct sales of $9.3 million, a 111% increase vs direct sales of $4.4 million in Q2 2021. Renewals and additional business with existing customers accounted for 71% of direct sales. Direct sales are included in revenue.
- Subscription revenue of $3.5 million, a 75% increase vs subscription revenue of $2.0 million in Q2 2021. The increase in subscription revenue was driven by an increase in paid subscribers and pricing optimization. Paid subscribers were 258,000 as at June 30, 2022, a 66% increase vs paid subscribers of 155,000 as at June 30, 2021.
- On June 2, 2022, the Company settled certain deferred and earn-out payments with a face value of over US$40 million in connection with its acquisitions of Addicting Games, Outplayed, and Vedatis, through the issuance of an aggregate of 16,168,836 common shares at an implied weighted average value of US$2.47 per share.
Q2 2022 Operational Highlights
- Renewals or new business with key notable partners including Adidas, US Navy, StateFarm, HBO Max, Lego, Universal Pictures, P&G, Fanduel, Toyota, Logitech, the FDA and RBC.
- Activated on its partnership with Fractal, an NFT marketplace co-founded by Justin Kan, co-founder of Twitch, resulting in over 3,500 NFTs being minted by the Company and integrated into one of the Company’s HTML5-based games, EV.IO (playable at www.ev.io).
- Continued product advancements including the expansion of the U.GG desktop app, and the introduction of in-game advertising and play-to-earn for certain Addicting Games titles.
- Expansion of Luminosity into new titles including Rocket League, Apex Legends, and Halo.
- Hosted Pocket Gamer Connects Seattle in May, and subsequent to the quarter hosted Pocket Gamer Connects Toronto in July, marking a continued return of live events for the Company.
The Company also congratulates FaZe Holdings Inc. (NASDAQ:FAZE) on its recent NASDAQ listing, the completion of which demonstrates investor confidence in the industry. The Company believes an increased number of publicly-traded gaming and esports companies provides investors with useful comparables and additional data points for analysis.
Earnings Announcement and Supplemental Information
Management will host a conference call and webcast on August 15, 2022, at 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time to review and discuss the second quarter 2022 results.
Please call the following numbers to participate:
North America (toll-free): 1-855-327-6837
Conference ID: 10019972
A live webcast can be heard at https://www.enthusiastgaming.com/investors. If you are unable to join live, an archived recording of the webcast will be available on the Investor Relations page of the Enthusiast Gaming website.
Certain information provided in this news release is extracted from financial statements and management’s discussion & analysis (“MD&A”) of the Company for the three and six months ended June 30, 2022, and should be read in conjunction with them. It is only in the context of the fulsome information and disclosures contained in the financial statements and MD&A that an investor can properly analyze this information. The financial statements and MD&A have been published on the Company’s profile on SEDAR and EDGAR.
All amounts are in Canadian dollars.
About Enthusiast Gaming
Enthusiast Gaming is an integrated gaming entertainment company, building the largest media and content platform for video game and esports fans to connect and engage worldwide. Combining the elements of its four core pillars: Communities, Content, Creators, and Experiences, Enthusiast Gaming provides a unique opportunity and integrated approach to reach and connect with its coveted GenZ and Millennial audience. Through its proprietary mix of digital media and entertainment assets, Enthusiast Gaming has built a vast network of like-minded communities to deliver the ultimate fan experience.
Enthusiast Gaming Investor Relations:
Eric Bernofsky, Chief Corporate Officer
Neither the Toronto Stock Exchange nor its Regulation Services Provider (as that term is defined in the policies of the exchange) accepts responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release.
This news release contains certain statements that may constitute forward-looking information under applicable securities laws. All statements, other than those of historical fact, which address activities, events, outcomes, results, developments, performance or achievements that Enthusiast Gaming anticipates or expects may or will occur in the future (in whole or in part) should be considered forward-looking information. Often, but not always, forward-looking information can be identified by the use of words such as “plans”, “expects”, “is expected”, “budget”, “scheduled”, “estimates”, “forecasts”, “intends”, “anticipates”, or “believes” or variations (including negative variations) of such words and phrases, or statements formed in the future tense or indicating that certain actions, events or results “may”, “could”, “would”, “might” or “will” (or other variations of the forgoing) be taken, occur, be achieved, or come to pass. Forward-looking statements in this news release include, but are not limited to, statements regarding trends in certain financial and operating metrics of the Company, and expectations relating to the financial performance and the financial results of future periods.
Forward-looking statements are based on assumptions and analyses made by the Company in light of its experience and its perception of historical trends, current conditions and expected future developments, including, but not limited to, expectations and assumptions concerning: interest and foreign exchange rates; capital efficiencies, cost saving and synergies; growth and growth rates; the success in the esports and gaming media industry; the Company’s growth plan, and judgment applied in the application of the Company’s accounting policies and in the preparation of financial statements in accordance with applicable financial reporting standards. While Enthusiast Gaming considers these assumptions to be reasonable, based on information currently available, they may prove to be incorrect. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on forward-looking statements. In addition, forward-looking statements necessarily involve known and unknown risks, including, without limitation, risks associated with general economic conditions; adverse industry events; and future legislative, tax and regulatory developments. Readers are cautioned that the foregoing list is not exhaustive. For more information on the risks, uncertainties and assumptions that could cause anticipated opportunities and actual results to differ materially, please refer to the public filings of Enthusiast Gaming which are available on SEDAR at www.sedar.com. Readers are further cautioned not to place undue reliance on forward-looking statements as there can be no assurance that the plans, intentions or expectations upon which they are placed will occur. Such information, although considered reasonable by management at the time of preparation, may prove to be incorrect and actual results may differ materially from those anticipated. Forward-looking statements contained in this news release are expressly qualified by this cautionary statement and reflect our expectations as of the date hereof, and thus are subject to change thereafter. Enthusiast Gaming disclaims any intention or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by applicable law.